Saturday, January 16, 2010

Motorcycling Montreal

Motorcycling Montreal

by Ken Aiken

Leaning back against the gray-stone wall and soaking up heat from the spring sun, I savor my first cappuccino of the day as sibilant sounds of French and the clicking of stiletto heels on cobblestones reach my ears. Across the street the horizon is defined by the top deck and smokestacks of an ocean-going vessel and white seagulls that soar on motionless wings against a flawless blue sky. It’s early Saturday and with little traffic on Rue de la Commune I’m able to park my scoot directly in front of the café – something that will be nearly impossible in a couple of hours. It feels like I’m back in Europe, but in fact I’m just an hour’s ride from Vermont.

Montreal is the second largest French-speaking city in the world; only 18.5% of the slightly fewer than two million inhabitants consider English to be their primary language. Despite their diverse ethnic backgrounds, residents are fervently French in culture, but communication poses few problems since most have English as their second or third language.

This is an island city. Situated in the middle of the St. Lawrence River at the mouth of the Ottawa River, 994 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Montreal became North America’s second-busiest port until the St. Lawrence Seaway opened in 1959 and is still the largest inland port in the world. Discovered in 1535 by Jacques Cartier while he searched for the elusive Northwest Passage, its strategic military and trade location caused it to play a pivotal role in the development of both Canada and the United States.

Vieux (Old) Montreal – with its narrow cobbled streets flanked by gray stone buildings housing restaurants, shops, and art galleries – has a distinctive European feel and the greatest concentration of 17th, 18th, and 19th century buildings in North America. A promenade of a communal green and the King Edward and Alexandria piers lay between Rue de la Commune and the river. Reclaimed from their former roles as major international docking quays, they now support an IMAX theater, food vendors, and the city’s science center. It’s just one of the city’s many “green zones,” but definitely a choice one for people watching.

Riding over the low ridge that divides the tourist-oriented port from the modern city, I find a parking space on Boulevard Saint Laurent only half a block from the red-and-gold gate that leads into Chinatown. The narrow sidewalks are overflowing and small grocery stores packed as Asians come from all over the city to shop in this small, unique district. Distinctly foreign, I could be in any small Asian city once under the dominion of France.

I take time just to ride around the city, cruising through canyons of glass and steel and eventually winding up Mont-Royal between the Cemetery of Notre-Dame and the 500-acre park. Stopping at the only observation point accessible to vehicles I gaze at the expanse of the eastern part of the city. Sticking up like a sore thumb, the futuristic leaning tower of the “Big O” (Olympic Stadium and former home of the Montreal Expos) is an unmistakable landmark of Montreal Est (East) and I orient myself in relation to it.

Cruising down into The Plateau, the stadium is centered at the end of Avenue du Mont-Royal like the front sight on a rifle. Sidewalks are crowded as residents of this ethnically diverse area browse trendy shops and run Saturday errands at specialty stores. The ambiance reminds me of the Haight district of San Francisco in the 70s: head shops, music stores, and funky galleries intermingled with straight retail establishments. Once again the bike gets parked and I become a tourist on foot.

On Rue St. Denis, I ride by another of Montreal’s numerous tree-filled parks. Intrigued, I loop around and park in front of a row of townhouses in which each otherwise identical residence has its window frames and front door painted in a different vibrant color. The architecture on these streets is pure eye candy and judging from the plethora of turrets and parapets, 19th-century Montrealers took the expression “a man’s home is his castle” to heart.

From St. Louis Square (a park) it’s a short stroll down Côte Prince Arthur Est, a pedestrian-only avenue of ethnic restaurants where BYOB is the trendy norm, to Boulevard St. Laurent. On the northern edge of the Latin Quarter, this is the center of Montreal’s noted restaurant and nightclub district. This is a place where it’s easy to drop $300 for dinner, but dozens of restaurants offering midi (mid-day) la table d’hôte (complete meal specials) for) for less than ten bucks.

Quebec drivers are among the worst I’ve encountered in my travels and busy mid-day traffic means it’s now impossible to sightsee and ride safely. Parking places have become especially scarce, so I park illegally the next time, squeezing in alongside a Honda VFR in a space reserved for taxis across from Place Des Art on Rue St. Catherine Ouest (West). The smell of reefer is everywhere. This casual, but not blatant, openness on one of the city’s busiest streets surprises me. Strip clubs and tacky tourist shops blend with international clothing outlets, fine restaurants, books stores, offices, and performing arts theaters; it’s a heady mix for a country boy. After an enjoyable half an hour of people watching I return to my scoot. A police officer tries to explain in English and French that I’m parked in a reserved space. I answer in Italian and indicate that I’m leaving – it satisfies him and I escape without a ticket.

Aided by directions and a map of the city I find my way to Little Italy. My first impression is one of disappointment, but that changes once I begin to enter storefronts strung along upper St. Laurent. In a very small bottega (shop) that has large burlap bags of coffee beans stacked against the front windows and espresso machines awaiting repair lining shelves on the back wall, I discover a typical Italian bar. Ah, you don’t know coffee until you’ve had a real Italian espresso. A couple of businesses away there’s a supermarket and I end up dropping a hundred bucks on essential staples that will barely fit into my reorganized saddlebags. Best of all is the fact that I can now converse with shop owners and understand some of the conversations that swirl past me on the street.

I feel like I’ve spent a day in Europe, but with the orange glow of the setting sun reflecting from the city’s mirrored towers, I head back to the States on two wheels – which is better than a long plane ride!

Addendum

Written for a national magazine in 2002, this assignment left such an impression that I moved to the Plateau district in Montreal and have maintained a residence in the city ever since.

No comments: